Wednesday, October 13, 2010

AN IMPOSSIBLE PROJECT :(

First, let me start by saying I LOVE The Impossible Project, their employees, their mission, the stickers, promotions and the buzz they've created--I appreciate it all. They've even taken the boring, black cardboard slides (that first shoot out before the film is ready to use) and turned them into collectible items, by adding a series of witty phrases. They've given me hope and resurrected my favorite films, but I lately have been a little disappointed. Trying to use their 600 series Silver Shade film has been... an Impossible Project. :(

Here's what I was trying to photograph:

Here were the results... seven completely ruined, blank shots. I've tried everything: allowing them to develop outside; running inside where it was warmer; allowing one to develop in the shade, another in the sun; and NOTHING. The last shot was the only shot to develop 1/2 inch of the image... and that was because I left the photo hanging from the camera.

Is anyone else having this problem?? I know it's not my camera, because the camera is fairly new and I recently used it with color film and had great results. Here is the back of the film, in case it is a bad batch:

4 comments:

Frank said...

Hey Jena, what's happened is your film isn't being shielded when it's being ejected from the camera. This is resulting in all your shots being flashed. The issue is that EVERY TIP film is still light sensitive when it's ejected from the camera. Essentially, there's an opaque layer meant to protect the as-yet-to-process-negative since it's still light sensitive at this point. Polaroid's old film had perfected a formula that made the film nearly lightproof. TIP film isn't yet opaque enough at this stage that the film needs to be covered in the first seconds after ejection. This is why the boxes have a url for best ways to use the film, the pages in the online store have essential reading like the 'All About' pages (http://shop.the-impossible-project.com/allabout/silvershade/) I've also done a video about different light-shielding techniques (http://www.impossibleproject.info/light-protection). We certainly recommend to people to contact TIP directly if there are problems, and sooner than later in order to see what's going on so you don't need to go through a pack of film and still not sure what's happening. If you have more questions or want more information feel free to email me directly at frank@theimpossibleproject.com. Hope all is well, -f

teresa said...

You HAVE to cover the picture up after it comes out of the camera -- the first few seconds are crucial. The Flickr Polaroid groups have discussed this in the past, have a search :)

I just stick a dark slide over the exit slot, then turn it upside down and leave it for a few minutes before looking at it.

The half inch that developed is because it was still inside the camera -- the rest of it is sticking out the exit slot.

Anonymous said...

ha, I am going to test my thought, your post bring me some good ideas, it's truly amazing, thanks.

- Joe

Jen said...

I just ruined a $24 dollar box of this stuff. I had the same problem as you and I DID shield the images as soon as they came out of the camera as well as slid them in an inside pocket like instructed to do so when outside.

It's disheartening to read someone else having the same problem, I doubt I'll buy silver shade again as I didn't really care for the few images that did develop. I may try the color 600 much more affordable for something that might not even work.

-Jen