Monday, July 21, 2008

Scissor Envy

I haven't cut my hair in 1 1/2 years but now more than ever, I have an urge to chop it into a bob (angled so that it's a little longer in the front than it is in the back).

My hair is the longest its been since pre-kindergarten. I'm not sure why I keep growing out my hair. It wraps itself around my arms when I swim. It tangles itself in knots when I leave my car windows rolled down. It clings to my back when it's humid outside and I'm wearing a tank top. If you run your fingers through the carpet in my apartment, it will look like you've just dissembled a tumbleweed. Before I can vacuum, we (and by "we" I mean Rick) have to CUT through a wad of my hair that is continuously wrapped around the rollers of the vacuum cleaner.

But when hair gets this long it becomes an entity - a body part you're reluctant to amputate. I want the happy-go-lucky feeling dogs get when you shave off their fur for the summer, but I'm worried I may regret going scissor-happy. Every time I ask someone's opinion on cutting my hair their first reaction is always "NO!!" followed by the obligatory "but it's your hair so, do whatever you want." Yes, I can trim off three or four inches but I hate the in-between length - so it's all of nothing!!

I'll cut my hair when it gets in the way of every day life like using the toilet, for example. Once my hair is long enough to dangle in the toilet bowl, it's getting cut. In the meantime, I'll keep reminding myself how badly I wished I looked like a long-haired Roxy model back in the day (hello 9th and 10th grade!!) and just deal with this hair.

No comments: