Tuesday, July 17, 2007

ghost world vs. art school confidential.

monday: scanned and edited photos. went to the bank, the post office and the food store. made rick some orange jello loaded with fresh peaches. rick and i went swimming. tim and aldrin stopped by. nothing too exciting to report.

tuesday: finished my masterpiece made of wires. went to the library and costco with rick. during dinner, we watched Art School Confidential - a movie based on a comic book by Daniel Clowes. i was eager to see this movie because Daniel Clowes wrote one of my favorite movies and graphic novels, Ghost World. he also wrote Ice Haven, which is really good. however, i was disappointed with Art School Confidential the movie. I was REALLY surprised Terry Zwigoff directed it because throughout the entire movie, i sat there thinking, "Damn, i wish Terry Zwigoff (the same guy who directed Ghost World) directed this instead of whoever is responsible for this..." but what can you expect from the same guy who directed Bad Santa?! OUCH. maybe i just had overly high expectations. rick actually enjoyed Art School more than Ghost World because "this movie didn't have slow, boring parts where nothing happens."

Art School Confidential wasn't dark enough for me. it hinted and brushed over dark plot, but never embraced the dark humor to make it its own. bottom line: Ghost World is better; watch that instead. i remember how thrilled i was the first time i watched Ghost World. a I-can't-believe-I-didn't-see-this-in-theaters, where-have-you-been-all-my-life?! kind of feeling swept over me. i made EVERYBODY watch it. and of course my best friends andrea and margot loved it and started quoting it as much as i was. then during my freshman year of college, i introduced Ghost World to a room full of people who wanted to watch a good movie... and they hated it. i actually FELT them hate it. the WHOLE room. they made me take the tape out before it even reached the 1/4 point because it was "too weird" and "depressing." they obviously didn't have the same sense of humor i have. so we all watched 10 Things I Hate About You instead... which i couldn't complain about, but i sat there thinking about how close-minded they all were.

their loss.

plans for this week include:
wednesday (and possibly thursday and/or friday) - work
saturday - promo gig
sunday - MINI POLA NERD FIELD TRIP!!!! :D

i also want to listen to all of the CDs i checked out of the library and PAINT.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I was looking up Ghost World to see what others think of it and I noticed this post and I know what you mean about some people hating it. I can hardly get anyone to like it, though most of my friends have come to terms with the fact they only like shallow movies. Though you didn't love art school confidential, I do think I'm going to still see it anyways, because if it's even slightly in the same direction as Ghost World, I'm sure I'll like it. I do agree with you about Ghost World though, it's an amazing movie! I've watched it so many times I can't even count how many!

jena ardell said...

hey amber,

thanks for visiting my blog!! always glad to meet fans of the film (seems like we're few and far between sometimes).

i'd be interested in knowing your opinion about "art school confidential" since you are a hardcore "ghost world" fan as well... so keep me posted!!

~jena~